Pastor Aaron E. Lavender
Sunday, March 18, 2018
“The Prayer That Can Change My Church”
The apostle Paul picks up the thought he had begun earlier in the book, having stated that positionally, the Gentile and Jewish believers were “one new man” (2:15), which is the body of Christ, the Church. Paul now prayed that they may be united experientially. This is the prayer that can change not just the Church at Ephesus, but any church. Three wonderful truths emerge from this paragraph regarding the prayer that can change the church: it must be passionate, purposeful, and powerful.
I. The Prayer That Can Change My Church Must Be PASSIONATE: Eph. 3:14-15
A. Focus (v.14a, “For this reason”)
B. Humility (vv.14b-15, “I bow my knees to the Father . . .”)
1. A sign of submission to the One far greater than we are.
2. A sign of intense passion and emotion.
II. The Prayer That Can Change My Church Must Be PURPOSEFUL: Eph. 3:13-19 – 3 requests are given:
A. To be STRENGTHENED by the Spirit of God (vv.16-17)
1. Where? – (v.16, “in the inner man”)
2. How? – (v.16, “strengthened . . . through His Spirit”)
3. Why? – (v.17a, “that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith”)
B. To COMPREHEND the love of God (vv.17b-19a)
1. The root of God’s love (v.17b)
2. The inclusivity of God’s love (v.18a, “with all the saints”)
3. The dimensions of God’s love (vv.18b-19)
C. To be FILLED with all the fullness of God (v.19)
III. The Prayer That Can Change My Church Must Be POWERFUL: Eph. 3:20-21
A. The SOVEREIGNTY of God (v.20a, “Now to Him . . .”)
B. The OMNIPOTENCE of God (v.20b, “able to do . . .”)
C. The GLORY of God (v.21, “To Him be glory in the church”)
Spiritually mature Christians strengthened by the Holy Spirit, comprehend and demonstrate God’s love, and thus bring glory to God.