Pastor Aaron E. Lavender
Facilities Development Commitment Sunday
Sunday, May 7, 2017
“Don’t Offer GOD That Which Costs Us Nothing”
II Samuel 24:18-24
A thankful heart will never come to God bearing a gift which cost him nothing. If it is of no value to you, it will not be received nor blessed of God.
Churches and professing Christians today insult God with many of their so-called gifts and efforts to raise money for Christian causes. They give that which costs them nothing: a left-over, second-hand faith. There is no element of grace, self-denial, nor sacrifice.
Let us look at two simple principles learned from David’s example.
I. A Gift That Costs Us Nothing Dishonors God’s Person:
II. A Gift That Costs Us Nothing Is Devoid of God’s Power:
- All our possessions are God’s (1 Cor. 6:19).
- God’s grace doesn’t remove our need to give.
- God is honored by giving that reflects Who He is.
- There is no greater use of our possessions than in service to our God.
- A sincere heart finds pleasure in creatives ways of giving back to God.
- God uses our giving to do far more than we realize at the time:
(1) God uses our sacrificial giving to grow us – As you and I grow in the grace of giving by making a personal and priority commitment to obey God’s Word, God will grow us and draw us closer to Him.
2) God uses our sacrificial giving to benefit others – As you and I give to support God’s work through His church, more people will hear the Gospel and as they respond, they will see the curse of sin reversed in their lives by the power of God. No true gift of faith and sacrifice goes unnoticed by our God.
3) God uses our sacrificial giving to provide for the future – God can use whatever we give by way of our tithe or special offering to His work to provide for our future ministry in which hundreds and thousands might also come to know Him, worship Him, and serve Him.
THAT WHICH IS OF VALUE, WE ARE PREPARED TO PAY FOR; AND WHAT WE VALUE MOST, WE WILL PAY MOST FOR!